Sunday, October 14, 2012

The King Codder Fishing Lures.


Hi there,

When a lure maker calls to tell you that he has two vintage fishing lures for you, you know that you are in for a treat. So when Tony the maker of the Barra Guru lures called me, I was rather excited and faster than a fleeing baitfish, I found myself at his place.
The present came to me in the form of two King Codder.

Two King Codder fishing lures.

In an old newspaper from down south (The Age), dated from the 30 November 1962, I found an advertisement and some information about them.
They are Australian fishing lures that were made by DK Union Tackle Co. in Melbourne.
At the time Union Tackle had up to a dozen metal lures, but the King Codder were made of timber. Certainly with some big Murray Cod in mind. So how did these two ended up in Darwin is any one guess. Albeit seeing how robust and well built they are, they would have been very good lures in the pursuit of our local champion, the mighty Barramundi.

King Codder came in only two sizes and two colours. Red fin and Trout or if you prefer, Gold and Silver.
By offering me the gold ones in the two available sizes, Tony had given me half of the full set. What a great way to start collecting a lure that I had never heard of.
The colour pattern of the gold ones would certainly have been of great efficiency on the Barramundi. As this is a colour scheme still very popular on today’s modern lures.

The large one.

The small one.

Detail of the small one.

Little treasures can be as varied as the different people who own them.
To my these four small pieces of wood, have become part of my precious…
And now, I would love to find the two silver ones.
And it might take a very long time...

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking lure. I'm interested in collecting them also. I'm not a fishing expert, my dad just helps me out when we go fishing. He has a variety of different lures.

TheJigHQ.com