Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Smoked Barramundi

Hi there,

Smoked Barramundi was on the menu for my lunch yesterday.
Now Barramundi is one of the most sought after fish in the Top End of Australia, and when you caught a wild one from the sea, then tasted it, you quickly understand why...

The perfect angler's lunch.

This is just a little part of the fish that I caught last weekend fishing at Shady Camp for the first time.

And the recipe is not an ancestral family secret, so here it is:
 - Fillet and skin your fish.
 - Prepare a brine made of water, salt, honey, squid sauce, soy sauce and one freshly squeezed orange.
 - Leave to marinate the fish fillets in the brine for a night and a day, in the fridge.
 - Come home and put in the smoker.
 - Enjoy!

With two slices of buttered bread, two apricot for fruit, and some cold water, this is as close to the perfect healthy angler's lunch as it gets, in the middle of a work day.
Sadly, I did not enjoy this lunch sitting on the water edge as I had planned to. 
Due to monsoonal rain and the formation of what could turn out to be a cyclone. I was sitting at a table situated just outside the staff door at work...
I am sure that it would have tasted even better facing the seas, under the sun, with a nice light breeze.

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

2 comments:

Ms. Dig said...

Yum! One of my favourite recipes of all time is a smoked fish cheese ball. I usually use honey-smoked trout (when I can get it), but your smoked barra would be lovely.

Take two packets of Philadelphia cream cheese, softened at room temperature. Add the flaked fish (I use one big fillet usually), being careful to remove any bones. Mix together and shape into a large ball. Roll in finely chopped parsely (and / or sesame seeds if you prefer) and serve with your favourite crackers.

Bon appetit!
Ms. Dig.

Rambling Expat said...

Hi Ms. Dig,

Great now I have the perfect excuse for my next fishing excursion: "But this is just to try Ms. Dig recipe!..."
Thanks!
;-)

Just kidding, but yes I should try that one day.

Have a good day,
Me.