Monday, September 27, 2010

The unicycle...

Hi there,

Yes I do practice the noble art of unicycle ridding...
Or to be more honest I should say, that for a very long time I have tried not to fall once perched on the machine...

Practice make perfect they said...

I have this unicycle for nearly ten years now.
At the time I kept saying to my partner that I truly believed that this was the best transportation system for a big city.
It keep you fit, it is faster than walking, you can take it in an elevator, shop, office or where ever you want to. No really I believed that, they look so easy to ride...
So she got me one for my birthday...
Very excited I tried it, and was quickly shown why it is not the most popular device on the planet...
It is hard, pretty hard to do.
So I more or less left it at that for many years.

Then last year talking with a friend she told me that she loved to ride her unicycle...
So I quickly jumped on the occasion and asked her if she wanted to be my teacher so I can ride mine.
And I was back into it...
I have a lesson every week, along the Nightcliff jetty as it is a very convenient place to train. And I can even see some people fishing while I practice.
And despite the regular falls, I am sure that one day I will be able to do it properly.

But I still love it and would still argue that it could be one of the most efficient locomotion apparatus in big cities where parking is always an issue. 
It does keep you fit, if you ride on a regular basis you will have some abs and legs made of steel.
It is fast and doesn't require to much storage room.
Imagine Amsterdam full of unicycle instead of bicycles...

So yes, I am far from the perfect ridder, and very often my legs hurts a bite and feel stiff after the practice. And some people must think terrible things of me when they see me ridding this thing on the jetty... And my progress on it are slow and laborious... And I can't yet ride it to go to the corner shop to buy some milk...

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

The photo in this post is copyrighted by Peter Zeroni 2010.


No comments: