Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Miller's damselfish

Hi there,

A few days ago, I was fishing with some friend when I saw this little critter swimming in a puddle behind me.


Ok, the pic is pretty bad, I have to admit, but, seeing it for the first time, and not knowing what it was, I decided to pursue the matter...
So I asked to Dr. Richard Willan at the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory if he knew what it was...
It didn't took him long to tell me that this was a juvenile Miller's damselfish.
A very juvenile, who was going to go through a stage where he would be all blue, loosing his yellow underbelly, but gaining a black spot near the tail. And then become an adult fish in the greyish/blueish colours, but still be a fish of small size.
And he showed me some photos of this fish through the different stage of his life.
I found all this fascinating.

And then proceed to tell me that this was a very common fish...
And I had never noticed one of them before!
I felt very happy to know about this little fish and a bit dumb a the same time...
You know with not seeing it before despite being on these rocks every second weekend and all... 

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

No comments: