Saturday, September 25, 2010

I came home with a fish, but it wasn't mine...

Hi there,

And before you start to ask any question, no I did not steal it... And I did not go to see the fishmonger on my way home either...
:roll: 

No, but I will tell you how it happened.

So this friend and I had decided to go to the Cullen Bay rock wall.
It was a long time since I had hit the spot so was somehow keen to try it again.
After all this is the spot where I landed my biggest Queenfish so far.



The Cullen Bay rock wall.


So with an early tide we had decided to meet there at around 6:00am.
Wich for me on the push bike basically meant getting up at 4:45... Nice...
Any way, it keep me fit (or so I believe) so it was ok, and I even arrived a good ten minutes before him.

So we started to cast some poppers around, then I tried my ceramics lures, then some chrome slice, then a lure without bib to skip it on the surface, then back to the chrome slice then back to another popper...
With him doing more or less the same, and not much action for any of us.

Only some birds diving but close to the sand bar, a bit far to cast, even on a good day, with the wind in our back...
:wink: :lol: 

My friend even tried to put a line in the water with some bait, and also tried to get a livie, but to no avail...

We were starting to think that we would go home with not even a real good hit when we saw this boat on our left coming and casting lures all around them. This finally caught our attention and we then noticed that some fish were busting the surface close to the boat.
Then they drove their boat straight in the middle of the splashing bait...
We looked at each other and said, they will just scare them away... :idea: Maybe they will even scare them away in our direction!!!
And yes this is actually what's happened, this school of busting fish that were a bit too far to reach came just at casting distance...

Of course, I had a popper on when I need a chrome slice, and my fishing bag was at the other extremity of the little rock wall...
My friend said: Just choose one in my box don't wast time, take the one you want.
I then told him: But I will certainly loose it you know, and he said not to worry about it...
:bow: 

I choose a Halco Twisty 40gr.

So eager like two schoolboys we started to cast in the middle of the school.
And the usual happened the school dived down.
:( 
Then it bursted again even closer!
:D 
Quick we casted again...
And I was on! 
:mrgreen: 
I started to get real happy even if I keep saying: It is not a very big one, it is not a very big one....
Then just at our feet... The line got cut...
:bricks: :banghead: 
They were not Queenfish, they were Mackerels...

I had dutifully lost my mate's lure, and my fish, two birds with the same stone as they say...

So this time I run (more like hoping from one rock to the other) to the opposite side of the rock wall and re-rig my rod, with a new leader and a new chrome slice and as I was on my way back, and he was on and landed a nice little Mackerel...
Just to show me how it is done...
:roll: :lol: 

But by the time that I arrived again to the water edge, the fishes had disappeared...

Then he said do you want my fish, I still have 5 kilos of fish in the fridge so if you don't want it I will throw it back...
What a show-off...

 :lol: :rofl: 

I actually said yes, thanks.

After that we just waited, having a little chat, to see if they were coming back, but did not...
So I started to leave and he was going to do the same. As I was climbing up the rocks I heard him calling!
I turn around and see the fish bursting the surface again just in front of him, way under casting distance!
He had already started to pack up, so he quickly put a new lure on the line and tried to get some but this time they went down for good.
They must have done that just to tease him... :wink:



My friend being teased by the fishes...


So this is the story of how I came back home with a fish that I didn't caught.

It was a slow starting morning, but was well worth it, just seeing those fish bursting so close to us and getting one on the line was exciting enough.

So I did not get any fish, and got slightly sun burnt...



But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.

No comments: